Thursday, September 2, 2010

A little light decorating.....vintage mirror, gallery wall, paris map...that sort of thing.

Once again....it's been weeks since my last post...

that must mean we've been having an action-packed summer.

Or....maybe I've been off doing all sorts of glamorous girly things like having spa days and afternoon tea parties.

Or...more than likely I've just simply been caught up in life with two little boys...riding bikes and splashing in paddling pools....wiping sticky popsicle hands.....that sort of thing :)


Isn't that what life's all about? 

Oh....and giggling.

We do a lot of giggling.


And in the odd fleeting moment where I have 3 minutes to myself, I sometime like to switch things up a bit....decor-wise :)

So...I went around our house just now and photographed a few of the little changes that make me smile when I see them......yes.....little "fresh" things around the house do that to me.



First of all.....this mirror was a recent thrift shop find ($8).....I gave it a quick coat of white, and then another quick coat of light grey....a quick bit of sandpaper distressing, and up to the living room she went. (*quick* being the key word here). Our little Finny has turned into a chronic 20 minute napper these days (he just learned to walk), so this project literally took 12 minutes from start to finish. Who needs dry paint between coats?....I mean...REALLY.  That would be a luxury. My trick.....paint outside in the hot sun and by the time you get around again to the second coat, the first is already basically dry. :)








So.....I had all these paintings gathering dust, and an ugly wall that needed cheering up. I know they aren't exactly hung in a way that would be "correct" design-wise....but it works for me, and I kind of like the haphazard gallery look. There....a new design term for you ;)









When I painted our bedroom, and moved the pink camellia painting, I needed some quick art for the living room. This is a vintage-style piece of wrapping paper that I found at a little boutique for $5. It's verging on being a little "generic" for my liking, but I like it none the less. The subtle pinks and blues sort of work well for our room. It's a good "stand-in" until something else comes along :)









I found this globe at our local thrift shop (really....do I ever shop anywhere else?)...hehe.....well, ahem....my husband might beg to differ, after I broke the news about a new little Nicole Miller dress that I just couldn't leave behind. C'mon...the thing fit like a glove. And you know that feeling when you zip up a dress and it's like it was just meant to be?.....well.....that's how it was. The dress....not the globe. 

Well...ok....maybe the globe too. I mean, look at the colours in it! Perfect!

And this is where I sit....right now....in that very spot :)






This vintage Paris map was also a piece of wrapping paper from the same boutique as the living room Eiffel Tower, and I fell in love with it. I like how it adds a little softness to our kitchen, alongside the black chalkboard wall.




I like this view a lot better now.....looking from our kitchen into the hallway.



I found an old IKEA table runner that I had bought several years ago...and it works perfectly in our kitchen now...thanks to the Paris map :)

I now enjoy sitting down at our table just that little bit more.


Small pleasures.




And who could resist cupcake print tea towels? Seriously.

My new tea-towel "system".....blue buckets :) Sitting out. Easy to reach...no more drawer stuffing.




So there you have it.....it's amazing how little changes can make a big difference to your every day life. 

Ok...maybe that's just me.


Hope you're all having a wonderful summer!


19 comments:

  1. Welcome back from the land of giggles and popsicles...I had a fun summer swimming and painting with my nieces...I so love summer..like your changeups..I live in langley..where do you find most of fab finds? take care..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new/old finds! I love the paris wrapping paper in the kitchen, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely creative home my friend...so so pretty. Love everything.xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to blogland, Tracey! Good to see you again, girl! I loved your little mini-tour of your home today. Your living room is so open and airy and pretty! And I adore the idea of having your towels sitting out in a bucket. Very smart!!! Have a great holiday!

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute Paris prints! Wrapping paper is one of my favorites for quick art...great minds think alike! And apparently great minds also buy the same runner at Ikea because I have it too! :) Hope you have a great rest of summer with your munchkins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been having an action packed summer as well! Blogging has fallen by the wayside. Love your little touches around the house! Love how moving things or just small additions can make me smile!
    Tried to visit your thrift shop when the hubby races in the Tour de Delta but it was closed :( Too bad you can't make it to lunch in a few weeks! I can also relate to the dress "issue", I just couldn't leave a three pairs of flats behind! They just looked too cute on my feet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is so beautiful !!.welcome back Treacey...nice to read your post !!.happy day and weekend...love Ria....

    ReplyDelete
  8. the house looks great!!
    i only have 3 weeks left of mat leave, we need to get together before you head off and i am no longer available in regular daytime hours!! boooo hoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute post! Where to start!? Love your tea towel bucket idea! I have the same bucket - and use it by the front door during winter for hats and gloves! Love the shape of your new mirror - it's unexpected! Your vintage Paris map in the kitchen... to die for! I was laughing at myself yesterday for being a crazy driver and falling apart upon seeing two bar stool/chairs at the side of the road! I picked them up and they just need a coat of white paint! So exciting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...delightful!..so glad you have made the changes that excite you!...funny how the little things count!...I love your smart idea of the framed wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty palette of colors you've created! Blush and pale blue with a hint of green. It's easy to punch them up or keep them gentle. I love the idea of keeping teatowels out too - seems like I'm always opening that drawer with my hands wet or dirty, so that would solve that problem. Glad to hear there have been lots of giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    Came upon your blog and your house is beautiful. Nice decorating! Thank you for sharing. Inspiring....
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your home is gorgeous! I love that mirror...and I like the idea of having the tea towels sitting out. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All these photos are gorgeous! I love that chalkboard wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We hung curtains today and I can't believe the difference so I know what you mean, love the cupcake towels and the globe too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all your little changes :-) The haphazard gallery look is great!! And I like how it's sort of framed by the doorway. I'm diggin' that blackboard wall too :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, what lovely vignettes and peeks into your home. I really love that Paris map. Your whole home seems so calming and orderly. The thumbnail photo drew me over here from someone else's blogroll. Thanks so much for the quick painting tips. I have two little ones myself (neither of them nap!) and two small painting projects awaiting me for a few weeks now. Maybe now I'll tackle them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a very beautiful home & very adorable boys!

    Blessings!


    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can have the best accessories to make your room more comfortable. You can get different drawing table, cushions, footrest, etc. These will help you to calm down your nerves and help you to be ready for next day hassle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love reading every single one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails